Friday 24 August 2012

A day in the life of racehorse trainer (photo essay)


The day in the life of a race-horse trainer
Father and son waiting for the horses to arrive to  be worked





At Track


 
 
    Musing     
 
 
 
                        Giving instructions to riders
 
 
 
 

           Tea and crossword, waiting  for the next string                                                                                       
 
 
Accomplishments and accolades  
 
 
 
 
 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
   Giving some love to "Luminious Love"                       
 
 
 
 
For my rendition of "A day in the life of" many options came to mind but one idea stuck. My dad trains race horses professionally and I don’t think many people know of the secret life of the race horse trainer. One flicks on the television sees "the pretty horses" racing and led into the winner's circle but do people actually know what it takes to get it there? Most people when they find out my dad is a trainer they quickly follow with "oh does he ride the horse in the race?" and I have to quickly restrain the linguistic Nazi within myself and respond coolly "no, he trains the horse with a jockey on its back".
I tried to think of more interesting topics to cover for this assignment especially since my subject was so close to "home" (excuse the pun) but then I thought "so what?" The fact of the matter is I'm actually truly blessed that I have such an interesting person and sport within my own family so all the trendsters can just go fly a kite.
The first activity that went into the making of this photo essay was the daunting task of waking up at 5:30AM (AY-EM) and heading to the tracks to get a "prime spot". This prime spot quickly turned into 3 prime spots with one of them including hiding behind the finishing post! The picture reel flowed swiftly and in less than 20 minutes my task was near completed. I then moved on to the stable yard where I was constantly running after my workaholic father who has no time for photos as he thinks they "vain" (he he sorry dad) In one of the offices we have a couple of trophies, which my dad won but was totally my mother's idea to display them in the workplace (see previous use of 'vain') The shot came out well and I had to move quick because the model gets impatient with all this tally whack tomfoolery :D
The last shot of my dad and one of the horses he trains "Luminous Love" I believe sums up my father best in this photo essay. He makes his living off training race horses but at the end of the day he truly loves animals and often I find him in one of the yards at the end of the day having chats with a horse and patting them enthusiastically. I haven't found gross amounts of trainers who do the same but who am I to state, trainers operate rather low key if one is not involved in the stable. All I CAN vouch for is that my dad makes me proud every day.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment