Thursday 19 December 2013

Life of an intern

So today is my last day as an intern at Glamour for the year. It has been the most humbling, tiring, confusing but gratifying time. I'm glad I started early with the whole process of interning instead of jetting off to Thailand or sitting on the beach like many of my friends have done. Not that i'm sniping any of them, we all have different paths we wish to go down and they are still discovering theirs but I think I would of been straight out panicking if I started next year. Its also great because many staff  go  on leave so I got a chance to do alot more.

My first day was one of absolute awkwardness. My hair was on its 'i'm greasy but not greasy' days and I had NO idea what to wear for a fashion internship that would be right. Nevertheless as the days went by and as per advice from the intern who was interning from London who said "Jess, F#@$ it, wear what you want to wear, don't worry about what the seniors will think of it because honestly they not even looking at you." Which was great advice and I slowly became more at ease in the working environment because I felt comfortable and confident and more like me and not a show pony.



I helped out on two shoots but honestly, most of what I did involved helping to "source" clothing, keep track of what the model wore and then like Cinderella, when the clock struck midnight return it all again to the designers who had lent them to us. It was a flurry of activity and envy at the beautiful clothes we got to borrow for anything from 3 days to a couple hours. We sourced lingerie from a brassier store called "Inner Beauty" which had lingerie you only see in movies and 'that one Twilight movie'. It was fabulous and so beautiful.The shoot took place in a private home in Hout Bay which regretfully I only really saw one shot taken as I was running around finding the perfect red beach towel and pillows and doing returns all over the hillside at the same time. Nevertheless I really enjoyed it and its not something i would have had the opportunity to participate in, in any other situation.



The last 2 days I have been working on editorial as the shoots are now finished for the year and the returns have all (almost) been returned. I am ecstatic because editorial is my main love and something I am so passionate about simply learning the daily runnings of. Yesterday I got to do 'the wall' which is pasting all the pages of the magazine of a wall using sliders and arranging it in order. It may seem miniscule but it was strangely satisfying and I felt a great sense of accomplishment.



No comments:

Post a Comment