Friday 28 September 2012

Vilanculos

I recently had the privilege of going to Mozambique for a week with my boyfriend and his family in a little town called Vilanculos. The experience had me gapping around with goldfish lips and staring at everything like those annoying tourists usually do in Cape Town and happy snapping like it was nobody's business. 

The trip started rather early or late however you like to look at it with us having to set off for Lanseria Airport at 4:45 in the morning and rushing a lil frantic as Jess had forgotten to put in petrol thus speedometer computer  saying "Nooo" to Jess. We arrived at Lanseria with a half an hour to spare and I crashed onto one of the couches that was in the exec suite (yes dahling) and my eyelids started to flutter like a porcelain dolls (boyfriend claims this is what I look like when i'm sleepy). Boyfriend, lovely boyfriend was making me a cup of coffee when there was a huge "HELLO!" at the door. I walked over and Don's mom and grandparents were standing at the entrance looking all bright eyed and composed, while I, in a jumper and jeans looked placid at best. 

When we were called to depart, we walked down a flight of a stairs to the plane (Lanseria being tiny and not unlike The Isle of Mann Airport in the British Isles) and got comfy. Most of the passengers on the plane were business man and so I believe our parade of bouncy, joking and jesting passengers brought some definite colour to the embarking Vilanculos flight. 

Arriving in Vilanculos, the airport could have looked like any tiny airport in the world and was immaculately turned out. However, once getting into the car and driving "home". I couldn't have been further from what I thought a road was --- and in a good way. Roads and alleys appeared from out of nowhere and barring a couple of (probably 2) stop signs one had to maneuver with great acquired skill. The choice of road naturally was natural and that meant lovely sand duney  roads that were so much fun to drive over, around, inbetween. 

The town is buzzing. Everywhere you looked there was something going on, Vendors bartering, ladies catching up on gossip, little children playing with assorted metalwork which could have possibly been made for them by their fathers. People were laughing, smiling and looked generally to be in a happy disposition. Don's mom, who is a nurse and is opening up her own clinic has a vast recital of all the people that live in Vilanculos mentioned especially the 'crazy man' who when she drives past each day, slaps the side of her car with his palm.


We visited the island of Bazaruto on a "Sail Away" vessel which is called a Dhow and is very popular in Mozambique I believe due to its hardiness and that the process of making one does not require specialities of a professional to build. We were driving through one of the village one day and I actually saw one being built amongst the huts. When I asked how they would transport it to the water as the coast was about a kilometre away I was told the men in the village group together and carry it together down to the shore. Such camaraderie, selflessness and local support seemed so unfamiliar to me and where I live in Johannesburg. 

After a 45 minute sail to Bazaruto Island Don proceeded to rip off his shirt put on his snorkel and goggles and hop off the boat ... so I followed suit :D I wasn't so great at the breathing part and drank a gallon of water when I forgot you couldn't talk underwater with a snorkel on. 







While eating lunch and trying to senselessly tan we heard bleating. Now bleating and eating a crab curry on the side of a lagoon doesn't usually go hand in hand. We looked around and saw 2 gorgeous black and white goats who had been separated from their mother. They were trying to drink water out the lagoon but kept slipping and sinking. Since they both probably weighed about the same as a small jack russel we decided to rescue them. Here they are :) 




All for now! Ciao belles! <3



 

No comments:

Post a Comment